Sharpening Made Easy Homepage
Learn the skill your father should have taught you.
Sharpen Knives, Scissors and Garden Tools for your pleasure or as a business.
"Having sharp, great knives will enable you to cook very precisely." - Eric Ripert
"Knife Sharpening School in a Box"
Our "Sharpening School in a Box" video takes you through the
essentials of our sharpening school. The sharpening school video
is professionally photographed and edited, you can watch
straight through or use the menu to jump directly to any of the
The DVD also includes a set of annotated notes from our sharpening school, a copy of our How to Start Your Own Knife Sharpening Business booklet. Also included is a copy of our book Sharpening Made Easy.
Finally, student discounts can more than offset the cost of the package.
In person sharpening instruction is no longer available.
- Chapter 1 - Introduction, Sharpness Testing, Knife Sharpening Equipment; Stones, Guides and Rod-Guided Systems; Recommended Books on Knife Sharpening
- Chapter 2 - Knife Sharpening Equipment continued; Crock Sticks. Slot Gadgets, Electric Sharpening Machines
- Chapter 3 - The Knife Sharpening Process: How to Sharpen a Knife. Common Mistakes, Conventional and Multi-bevel Methods, Honing, Using Oil or Water
- Chapter 4 - Advanced Stuff - Knife Steels, Knife Sharpening Theory, Stropping, Using Steels, Electric Machines, Sharpening Ceramic Knives Tables: Mohs Hardness Scale, Abrasive Grit Comparison, Suppliers
- Chapter 5 - Miscellaneous Stuff - Knife Sharpening Methods, Professional Knife Sharpening machines, Miscellaneous Sharpening Information
- Chapters 1, 2 and 3 were printed in the June and July 1999 issues of Knife World as A PRIMER ON KNIFE SHARPENING.
- Check out my information page for 100+ more pages on knife sharpening
I am retired from knife sharpening, except for Friends and Family, you know how to reach me.
Quotes about Sharpening Made Easy
Sharpening Made Easy by Steve Bottorff. Steve has tried just about every knife sharpening system available. This slim book is a good starting point if you're just getting into knife sharpening. Give it as a gift ... to the sharpening-challenged. Chad Ward, eGullet
"Razor Edge Book of Sharpening" Why should we carry this title, when we already sell the world's greatest knife sharpening book "Sharpening Made Easy"? I wondered the same thing, so after a good many years, we are finally going to drop the old book. If you have other books on knife sharpening, or if you don't but have never been happy with your efforts, may we suggest Steve Bottorff's $9.95 masterpiece Sharpening Made Easy. It's a gem! Mark D. Zalesky, Editor, Knife World
Updated October 7, 2018