Sharpening Made Easy Homepage
Learn a skill your father should have taught you.
Knife, scissor and garden tools sharpening for your pleasure or a home business.
"Having sharp, great knives will enable you to cook very precisely." - Eric Ripert
Site of the Month: Laser Knife Edge Reader
Knife Sharpening School Video
Our Sharpening School Video takes you through the essentials of
our sharpening school. The video is professionally photographed
and edited, you can watch straight through or use the menu to
jump directly to any of the 22 chapters.
Sharpening School Video also includes a set of annotated notes from our sharpening school, a copy of our How to Start Your Own Knife Sharpening Business booklet, and a copy of our book Sharpening Made Easy.
In person sharpening instruction is no longer available.
- Chapter 1 - Introduction, Sharpness Testing, Knife Sharpening Equipment; Stones, Guides and Rod-Guided Systems; Recommended Books on Knife Sharpening
- Chapter 2 - Knife Sharpening Equipment continued; Crock Sticks. Slot Gadgets, Electric Sharpening Machines
- Chapter 3 - The Knife Sharpening Process: How to Sharpen a Knife. Common Mistakes, Conventional and Multi-bevel Methods, Honing, Using Oil or Water
- Chapter 4 - Advanced Stuff - Knife Steels, Knife Sharpening Theory, Stropping, Using Steels, Electric Machines, Sharpening Ceramic Knives Tables: Mohs Hardness Scale, Abrasive Grit Comparison, Suppliers
- Chapter 5 - Miscellaneous Stuff - Knife Sharpening Methods, Professional Knife Sharpening machines, Miscellaneous Sharpening Information
- Chapters 1, 2 and 3 were printed in the June and July 1999 issues of Knife World as A PRIMER ON KNIFE SHARPENING.
- Check out my information page for 100+ more pages on knife sharpening.
I am retired from knife sharpening. Thank you for your past business
Friends and Family, you know how to reach me.
Quotes about Sharpening Made Easy
Sharpening Made Easy by Steve Bottorff. Steve has tried just about every knife sharpening system available. This slim book is a good starting point if you're just getting into knife sharpening. Give it as a gift ... to the sharpening-challenged. Chad Ward, eGullet
"Razor Edge Book of Sharpening" Why should we carry this title, when we already sell the world's greatest knife sharpening book "Sharpening Made Easy"? I wondered the same thing, so after a good many years, we are finally going to drop the old book. If you have other books on knife sharpening, or if you don't but have never been happy with your efforts, may we suggest Steve Bottorff's $9.95 masterpiece Sharpening Made Easy. It's a gem! Mark D. Zalesky, Editor, Knife World
Updated October 7, 2018